Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Community Action Helps People Start Over


Following is the story of how the Community Action Commission of Fayette County helped a client struggling with addiction and homelessness in the client’s own words:



On February 17th 2012 I made a phone call that would lead to great things for me.

I will start with a little history. I am a recovering opiate addict. On September 28th 2011 I went into an inpatient treatment facility. I spent 120 days there. I graduated the program on January 24th 2012. 
     
When I came home I stayed with my twin sister. We started having arguments because my family was left in my addiction. I had to remember that I got help and they were left right where I left them before I got help.

So on Valentine’s Day 2012 my sister told me that it just wasn't working out. For 2 days I was in a panic. I called the homeless shelter (of the Community Action Commission of Fayette County) on the morning of February 17 and I spoke with Gaye. I told her my situation and she told me to come in and see her.  I was starting a job Monday the 27th. I would be lying if I say I wasn't nervous.  Never having to deal with being homeless, I only had my pre-conceived notions on what it might be like.

I went and met Gaye and I told her about my 9 year old daughter who is my life. Gaye showed me around the shelter and told me the rules. Everything seemed to be run very well.  I also met with Christy who completed my paperwork. They both made me feel very welcome.

As I was moving the few things that I had brought into my room, Gaye called me into the office and handed me a key to an apartment. She told me to go and have a look and see what I thought and if I qualified I would be on their Transitional Housing Program.

At that moment I felt so extremely blessed. I don't know how I could ever put into words how great Gaye and Christy made me feel. I spent the next five days at the Shelter. I honestly felt at home and it wasn’t because I brought things of my own in, it was because the ladies made me feel welcome.

On February 24th I moved into my new apartment. After the last six months I had, I didn’t care where I lived as long as I could call it home.

Fast forward to February 2013. I am a college student and I have a job, and my relationship with my beautiful daughter couldn't be better. Last but certainly not least I have over a year of sobriety. It's all because Gaye and Christy gave me a chance and a roof over my head. I can say without a doubt I would not be where I am today if it weren't for the Shelter and Transitional Housing and the great people running it.


For more information about Community Action programs in your area, visit www.oacaa.org. Note, not all Community Action Agencies offer these programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment