Friday, January 18, 2013

Reuniting a Family and Much More

When Josh was referred to the Community Action Commission of Erie, Huron & Richland Counties’ Fathers Matter program by the child support offices, he was homeless and living in his van. The program not only helped him become a better father, but improved his life.




CAC EHR taught him budgeting skills so that he could save for a home and be able to visit with his children. The agency also helped him find affordable child care and dental care. They acted as an advocate for him with the Ohio Department of Jobs & Family Services, helped him get his van repaired and also helped him with his taxes.

"I was able to get housing for myself, find out more about myself, and realize different things about myself," explained Josh. "I have been able to now have my daughter full-time living with me. The case management has helped me find resources that I would not have pursued otherwise. I was homeless and being denied for help at every turn. My daughter is now living with me and I now get visitations with my son. [CAC EHR] also helped me keep my mind right." Josh is also going through legal proceedings to get custody of his son.

Thanks to the Community Action Commission of Erie, Huron & Richland Counties, Josh can provide a safe and happy home for his children and has his life on the right path.

For more information about Community Action programs in your area, visit www.oacaa.org. Note, not all Community Action Agencies offer Fathers Matter programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment